Robotics is among the fascinating subjects and the name robot is enough to create a buzz. The fact that robots are the future of technology amazes everyone. But you will be amazed to know that you can also make your own robot using very basic things. The whole process is simple and easy, you just need to follow some simple steps. The name of your first robot is Raspberry Pi and it works on simple technologies to give you a moving robot.
You need to get the requirements like wheels, motor, wires, Raspberry Pi setup.
It is one of the most important parts of your robot and it forms the backbone structure which will hold its moving parts and keep them in place. A strong cardboard will be ideal for your robot as it is easy to cut and will give the required strength. The diagram below will give you a clear picture of the parts and their shapes required for chassis. You need to follow the steps:
- Attach the wheels to the motor by fixing the white rod to the center of the wheel.
- Attach two pieces of wire to the two terminals of the motor by soldering.
- Repeat the step for second wheel and motor.
- Fix the wheel bracket to wheel motor with the help of M3 screws and your wheels should look like this.
- Fix your Raspberry Pi to the chassis board with M2.5 screws. It should be along with the SD or microSD card inserted.
- Fix the wheels between the two brackets and you can make use of cable ties at all the corners for keeping the two brackets together.
- Put a castor in the front end of Raspberry Pi board with screws.
- Plug the Pibrella into the first 26 pins of the Raspberry Pi.
- Now it’s time to connect the wheel motors to the Pibrella. Connect one wire from the wheel motor to the input E and the other one to the ground input just beside it.
- Do the same with the other motor with input F.
So, now your robot is ready.
Connect the Raspberry Pi
Now you need to connect your Raspberry Pi to a keyboard, monitor, and mouse and connect the power cable to the micro USB port present on your Pibrella. Then log in and load the GUI by using the command “startx”. Open the terminal window by Main menu > Accessories > Terminal.
Now you need to set up the Python IDLE programming environment. Type the command “sudo idle3 &” for setting it up. Open a new text editor by clicking File > New Window. Save the python file by clicking on Save As and name it first_robot.py.
Making it Move
The robot is finally ready and you can use codes for making it move. You can use the following code after importing Pibrella and time libraries:
You can make other robots like this one in the image below like the one you just made. It’s very simple and easy.
You can refer to the following URLs for further help: